These will definitely have a Take 2. First off, the recipe called for one beet. WTF is that? Since when do beets all grow the same size? So it’s safe to say I got a beet that was too big so the cupcake tastes more like beet bread and it didn’t rise like a cupcake should.
As for the butter cream, I think I still screwed up with it, but it didn’t taste too bad. I got a tip from a co-worker to make the dulce de leche at home putting an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk, submerged in water, into a pressure cooker for 45 minutes. Although, I was afraid of it exploding, it didn’t and almost like magic I had a can of what looked and tasted like thick caramel. Next time, though, I will put it in for 30 minutes instead of 45 since the longer it is in there the thicker it becomes.
Problem with the butter cream was that the sugar-water reduction didn’t incorporate properly with the egg whites for some reason and I ended up having a cooled solid clump of sugar stuck to the bottom of the mixer bowl. I decided to forge ahead anyway and mix in the dulce de leche and it actually ended up tasting pretty good. Since my dulce de leche was a bit thicker you can see small dark dots since it couldn’t incorporate completely.
You can find the recipe here. I will definitely be making these again very soon and using what I learned this time, I think I can make them much better. Stay tuned….